Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nail Mail: Nostalgic Nail Lacquer Duckie

I will have to break my nail mails down into separate posts to avoid giving you the feeling that my post will never end.  :-)

I received Duckie, from Nostalgic Nail Lacquer, in the mail last weekend.  On Nostalgic Lacquer's website, I saw it somehow as more green.  When I had the bottle in my hand, it seemed more blue and less green, but that's O.K.  I like both.  So, Duckie is a light greenish blue or bluish green sheer polish with large and tiny green/gold hex glitter and small blue hex glitter.

My husband asked didn't I already have that color, didn't I go all over town looking for that color a few months ago only to then win it the very first time I won a blog giveaway?  No, I answered.  That was Revlon Whimsical.  Similar . . . but different.  ;-)

I was so excited that I used Duckie for my pedicure the very next day.  I put it on over Wet N Wild's I Need a Refresh-Mint. I was very surprised by the great formula and the amazingly pretty color of I Need a Refresh-Mint!  It's such an inexpensive polish, but it immediately made it into my favorite nail polishes of all time.  It's a very pretty Tiffany blue-green creme.  And, it dried so shiny!  Duckie also dried very shiny, and it wasn't bumpy.  I did use Seche Vite and then a coat of Gelous the next day plus another coat of Seche Vite to get it glassy smooth, though.  If you own or plan to buy or wear Duckie, I highly recommend Wet N Wild's I Need a Refresh-Mint as your base color if you don't want visible nail line, as even built up with several layers, Duckie is still sheer.

Here are some pictures of my Duckie nail mail package and some swatches on a nail wheel:

She used this sturdy box for just my one itty bitty little polish!  And, look at all that nice padding!










Here it is compared to Revlon Whimsical (similar . . . but different):


Whimsical is #16 on top; Duckie is #12 below.

Another comparison:  Duckie is #12 on the bottom wheel, and on the top wheel #1 is a light blue no-name Icing shimmer polish and #2 is WNW I Need a Refresh-Mint

The first two pictures are watermarked using Paint.NET on my desktop computer.  It's a free but fairly sophisticated photo editing program.  The pictures below that were marked using the PicShop HD Photo Editor app on my iPhone.  It's normally $4.99, but I got it when it became free for a day last week.  PicShop HD Photo Editor saves the new photo at just less than half the size of the original photo, so it blurs the image a little.  Paint.NET saves the new photo at 100% of the original resolution, and the resulting file is larger as a result.  I prefer to have my pictures stay at their original resolution and not be blurry, so after I post the last few pictures I have already marked with PicShop HD Photo Editor, I will switch to marking all my photos with Paint.NET until I can find an iPhone app I like better or a desktop application I like better, preferably free.

Thank you for reading my blog!

2 comments:

  1. OH What a cute color! I wish I knew how to edit photos, my gf does that part for me...I really need to take better photos...Mine always come out with a yellow tinge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning as I go! And, it was very helpful to start with that the iPhone has an option to have it automatically enhance your picture, making it brighter and clearer.

      I had pictures that would come out with a tinge. It's the lighting, I think. I went all over my house taking pictures of my nails under various lights. Turns out the ledge between the kitchen and the living room has the best lighting in my house. That's not saying much. It's still poor lighting, but that's as good as it gets for me right now. Sometimes the lighting in the bathroom and in the dining room will be O.K., too, but sometimes *not!*

      Delete